Job Title: Medical Field Officer (PHC/Nutrition)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Employment Type: Full-Time
Summary: The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance.
It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles.
The ICRC’s Somalia Delegation in Nairobi implements the institution’s humanitarian activities in Somalia.
Description: This position is a full time position starting immediately.
The ICRC Somalia Delegation in Nairobi is seeking for an experienced and highly motivated person to fill the above mentioned position.
The Medical Field Officer (PHC/Nutrition) forms part of the team working under the supervision of both the PHC and Nutrition delegates.
The incumbent will be responsible to provide advice, as well as to support the Delegation’s strategies on diverse issues related to the implementation and monitoring of PHC and nutrition projects in Somalia.
These duties require an in-depth knowledge of the implementation of community based nutrition and health programs as well as the social, political and economic context of Somalia.
* He / she will be based in Somalia and work within the frame of the health and economic security departments’ approaches and of the wider delegation strategy for Somalia; he / she will do regular reporting visit to the Delegation in Nairobi;
* He / she will work in close collaboration with the general ICRC Field Officers based in the different regions of Somalia as well as with the staff of the Somali Red Crescent;
* He / she will contribute to the collection and analysis of data gathered in the field;
* He / she will assist the nutrition and PHC delegates and will report upon the issues assigned by the Departments;
* He / she will contribute to the assessments, design, implementation and monitoring of the nutrition / health-programs;
* He / she will contribute to the Delegation internal reporting.
* Full nurse or MD qualification with a sound knowledge of CMAM and maternal/child health care programs
* At least 2 years of work experience in a similar field or in nutrition/health related programs implemented in Somalia; former experience with humanitarian organizations required
* Relevant professional experience in designing, implementing and monitoring CMAM and MCH/PHC programs
* Significant knowledge of nutrition and public health assessment methodologies, including design, implementation, analysis and reporting
* Fluent Somali speaker with excellent knowledge of English
* Excellent presentation and communication skills
* Good computer skills
* Good knowledge of geographically assigned environment
* Good organizational and analytical skills
* Good interpersonal, reporting and writing skills
* Ability to work independently and in a team
* Flexibility and willingness to travel extensively in Somalia and to spend long periods in the field.
How to Apply:
Interested persons with the required background and experience are invited to submit their application to the Head of Administration Department of Somalia Delegation on the below address.
Please include detailed curriculum vitae, current and expected remuneration and contact details of three referees.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
International Committee of the Red Cross,
Nairobi Regional Delegation, Denis Pritt Road,
P.O.Box 73226, Nairobi, 00200, Kenya.
Closing Date: 07 January 2012