SENIOR AUDITOR/Chief Resident Auditor, P5
Office Of Internal Oversight Services
14 November 2011-13 January 2012
Job Opening number:
11-AUD-INTERNAL OVERSIGHT SERVICES-21715-R-NAIROBI
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Internal Audit Division (IAD) of the Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) in UNSOA. The incumbent reports to the Chief of Service.
Within delegated authority, under the supervision of the Chief of Service the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Develops and implements the Section’s medium and long-term goals and objectives, and related annual audit and work plans.
• Plans, organizes, directs and coordinates the activities of multiple teams and resources of the Section.
• Defines the broad objectives and scope for each audit/review.
• Provides direction and leadership with respect to all phases of each audit/review with a view to ensuring that OIOS standards are complied with and that audit/review objectives are achieved within budget.
• Reviews working papers and related audit/review communications (e.g., audit reports).
• Provides guidance to audit staff on technical and administrative matters.
• Leads audits/reviews of a sensitive and complex nature.
• Analyses guidelines and standards for internal audit activities in the course of ensuring consistency of approach and adequacy of practice of subordinate auditors.
• Coordinates and recommends improvements in, or reviews proposed changes to, the financial rules of the Organization.
• Monitors the status of audit/review recommendations.
• Liaises with internal audit functions of other United Nations organizations.
• Empowers/challenges staff to assume more responsibility.
• Establishes and maintains a positive relationship with auditees.
• Carries out other tasks as may be assigned by the Chief of Service or Director of IAD.
• Demonstrates in-depth technical knowledge of all aspects of the audit function
• Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; has knowledge of auditing standards and practices, and knowledge of applicable financial rules and procedures
• Identifies issues, formulate opinions and presents conclusions and recommendations
• Has the ability to defend and explain difficult issues and positions to staff including senior officials
• Leads, coordinates, and manages multiple audit teams working on concurrent projects/activities
• Has knowledge of specialized IT audit applications, such as IDEA, ACL, and AutoAudit
• Shows pride in work and in achievements
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results
• Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns
• Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges
• Remains calm in stressful situations
• Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
• Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
• Places team agenda before personal agenda
• Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
• Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
• Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
• Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
• Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
• Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
• Serves as a role model that other people want to follow
• Empowers others to translate vision into results
• Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support
• Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions
• Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo
• Shows the courage to take unpopular stands
• Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly
• Gathers relevant information before making a decision
• Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them
• Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization
• Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information
• Checks assumptions against facts
• Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision
• Makes tough decisions when necessary
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, accounting or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA), and Certified International Auditor (CIA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) or equivalent is desirable.
A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible professional experience in audit, finance, accounting, administration, statistics, computer science or related area.
Experience in audit management is required. Experience within the UN system is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For these positions fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of French or another UN official language is an advantage.
Qualified candidates may be invited to a substantive assessment test followed by a competency based interview.
- The appointment is limited to OIOS.
- Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
- Staff members of the United Nations Secretariat must fulfil the lateral move requirements to be eligible to apply for this vacancy. Staff members are requested to indicate all qualifying lateral moves in their Personal History Profile (PHP) and cover note.
- Extension of appointments is subject to the availability of funds.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
How to Apply:
Deadline: 13 January 2012