The Centre for African Family Studies (CAFS) is an autonomous African institution dedicated to strengthening the capacities of organizations and individuals working in the field of health, HIV & AIDS, population and development in order to contribute to improving the quality of life of families in sub-Saharan Africa.
CAFS mission is to improve the lives of African families through skills development, knowledge management, and technical assistance in health and development
The purpose of this position which is to provide timely and accurate accounting services. Under the guidance and supervision of the Finance & Support Services Manager, the Accounts Assistant ensures effective execution of financial Services and processes in the corporate headquarters within the Finance and Support Services Department and transparent utilization of financial resources.
The Accounts Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with CAFS rules and regulations. The accounts assistant works in close collaboration with the program and projects’ staff CAFS HQ office in Nairobi in resolving finance-related issues and information exchange.
Main Tasks, Duties, and Responsibilities
* Verifying accuracy of invoices and ensuring that all expenditure is duly authorized through an LPO, purchase requisition, contracts and/or other documentation and Invoices certified by the budget holders before payment.
* Preparation of Payment vouchers, in the accounting system while ensuring proper coding account allocation and ensuring all supporting documents are attached to the payment vouchers.
* Preparation of journal vouchers to record items of income and expenditure.
* Processing VAT exemption applications and ensuring that all invoices are VAT stamped on application of exemption and before payment.
* Preparing cheques or bank transfer request letters against the local currency bank account in accordance with the corresponding Payment Vouchers and records them into the SUN accounting system. Seeking signatures of the designated bank signatories.
* Assisting the FSS team in providing documentation during the statutory audit and responding to queries raised.
* Operate and maintain custody of the petty cash including making cash counts on a regular basis and on ad hoc requests. Reconciling the ledger balances in the SUN accounting system to the float balances.
* Ensuring proper filing of all accounting documentation.
* Analyzing basic financial information in response to queries from program staff, management , and suppliers.
* Deposit cash recovered from staff against travel advance paid to them or other charges to the bank account after proper approval from the certifying and approving officers. Acknowledge receipt of these funds by issuing Cash Receipt Voucher
* Deposit cash recovered from staff against travel advance paid to them or other charges to the bank account after proper approval from the certifying and approving officers. Acknowledge receipt of these funds by issuing Cash Receipt Voucher.
* Assist the FSSM in the preparation of project reports, budgets, Management accounts
* Preparation of monthly payroll movement schedule.
* Carrying out any other duties as required.
Knowledge and Skills Required
* Strong understanding of accounting processes and procedures, Financial Reporting, Costing, Project accounting, the Fund accounting systems and Donor reporting requirements, and International Financial reporting standards.
* Knowledge of accounting principles, statutory regulations related to staff pay and taxation.
* Practical knowledge of basic accounting packages, especially Sun-System Accounting software.
* High level of competence in basic Excel, Word, Power point and Outlook
* Good data entry skills
* Good communication and listening skills
* Excellent organizational skills used in planning own work.
* Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
* Ability to demonstrate patience and attention to detail.
How to apply:
Qualified applicants may send there Cover letter, CV, and References to email@example.com
Only the most qualified applications will be contacted.
Closing date: 15 Jan 2012