Job Title: Panel Beater/Spray Painter (Ref: PB/02/2012). Based in Dadaab
CARE International in Kenya is looking for well organized and highly motivated individuals who are result-oriented to fill this positions. Reporting to the workshop Foreman, the Panel Beater/Spray Painter will be responsible for the safe keeping of all tools, general safety at the work place and determining the extent of interior fleet requirements, stripping, fitting and replacing body components on fleet of various makes. S/he shall undertake inspections, repairs and routine preventative maintenance for the fleet in Dadaab and ensure that all vehicles, plant and equipment meet set repair and maintenance standards. Detailed Job description below:
I: JOB SUMMARY & PURPOSE:
Reporting to the workshop foreman, the primary role of the incumbent is body repairs and renewal of paintwork for all CARE and other agencies vehicles as assigned to him. He shall also be responsible for the safe keeping of all tools, generalsafety at the work place and determining the extent of interior fleet requirements, stripping, fitting and replacing body components on fleet of various makes, types and kinds. She/He shall undertake inspections, repairs and routine preventative maintenance for fleet in Dadaab region and ensure that all vehicles, plant and equipment meet or exceed set repair and maintenance standards. The emphasis on quality control and customer centered attitude will be the hallmarks of her/his day to day work. She/he will be required to comply with the Workshop Standard Operating Procedures, Internal Control Procedures and CARE Kenya vehicle operation & maintenance management policy.
II: Tasks and responsibilities.
R 1: Preventive and Maintenance of Motor vehicles and Equipments
* Carry out Preventive maintenance and body repair of vehicles, plant and equipment including but not limited to Isuzu trucks, 4x4 vehicles, tractors, Agro - trailers, Backhoe loaders, and heavy vehicles of various makes, types and models.
* To be competent in a range of technical skills covering mechanical, pneumatics, modifications, welding, fabrication and electrical disciplines.
* Completion of work orders / job cards and time sheets of the assigned repair jobs.
* Test and operate vehicles and equipment as required and observe evidence of abnormal or normal operation.
* To input breakdowns, root cause and actions taken into the breakdown database
* Repairs and maintenance of agricultural equipment and modifications to suit our operational needs.
R 2: Panel beating /Body repairs
* To Disassembly and reassembly of motor vehicles, including suspension, electrical, trim and glass
* Repair of Chassis and bodywork to manufacturers specifications.
* Welding of body components as per the required specifications and use of special welding equipments.
* Adhere to all Occupational Health and Safety requirements at all times, especially in relation to safety equipments.
R3: Spray Painting
* Ensure vehicles are presented back to the Panel Department clean and with no over spray or preparation residue.
* To carry out complete body re-spray on accident related units with minimal health hazards
* Adhere to all health related requirements while in contact with acidic materials and fumes.
* Ensure that completed accident vehicles are presentable and safe for use after repair works.
* To undertake duties in a cost effective manner, and ensure cleanliness and tidiness at paint shop.
* Ensures that all paint related stock are replenished and controlled at all times.
R4: Safety Precautions and Quality Control
* To consistently deliver high quality repairs in the required timeframes, which, ensure our clients needs and requirements are met. As a valued employee of Auto Mechanic Technicians you are considered to be an important factor in the continuing growth and development of this Organization. We encourage innovation and believe commitment to quality is both a team and an individual responsibility.
* Work must be performed to the standard required by International Auto body standards and as per estimate of repairs. Any additional work must be sighted, approved by Supervisor & proceeding if necessary. All additional parts are to have the job numbers recorded on them and to be retained for inspection as required. No Vehicle or Equipment shall be released to the customer until repairs meet quality standards.
* Work orders to be completed with all additional repairs and parts recorded. Any mechanical problems or other observations must also be recorded. On completion of repairs the job checklist must be performed.
* Observe and follow all safety rules and procedures including housekeeping activities.
* Spending Authority: This position does not have spending authority.
* Supervision: Will directly supervise and provide technical assistance to two assistant mechanics.
* Decision Making: Deliberations on repairs can be done in consultation with the Supervisor.
IV: CONTACTS/KEY RELATIONSHIPS
* CARE Sectors, and implementing partners (IP) drivers
V: WORKING CONDITIONS:
The position is based at Dadaab Main Office (DMO) with frequent movements to Hagadera, Ifo and Dagahaley camps as well as any other extension camps and program sites.This is a non-family working station. Hot weather is prevalent throughout the year with limited basic amenities. Road movement to and from work station to Garissa as well as inter-camp movement must be under police escort (Scheduled convoys). Strict adherence to security instructions all the time. It is a six days work station with a compensatory time off according to CTO policy. The incumbent will be required to travel to Nairobi office and perform official responsibilities as will be required. The incumbent shall reside in the CARE compound while executing official duties and shall obey and adhere to residential compound regulations.
* Diploma in Auto/Mechanical Engineering
* Certificate in Motor vehicle/Body repairs or Grade test II and I.
* 3 years of work experience in Arc Welding, Advanced Electrical Welding Skills on Mig & Tig, Gas weldingand body fabrication especially panel beating and spray painting of motor vehicles.
* Demonstrate competency in a range of technical skills covering mechanical, pneumatics, modifications, welding, fabrication and electrical disciplines.
* Basic knowledge and experiences on Toyotas both Diesel & Petrol 4X4WD, Nissan Trucks and Patrol 4X4WD, Land-Rover Diesel & Petrol 4X4WD, Isuzu Trucks & Minibuses, MF Tractors 4X4WD
* Experience with a reputable franchise holder or a busy Garage is a plus.
* A Valid, accident free driving license preferably with Class B, C, E.
* Good interpersonal and communication skills, in English and Kiswahili.
* Ensures high quality
* Demonstrates honesty
* Maintains effectiveness
* Show respect for and learns from diversity
* Responds quickly to situations
* Interpret information and willing to share with others.
If you feel you meet the requirements for any of these positions, send your application letter indicating the reference number, title of the position along with an updated CV and telephone contacts of three professional referees to: The Human Resources & Development Manager, CARE International in Kenya, Email: Vacancies@care.or.ke so as to be received not later than 17th February, 2012. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.