Job Title: Gender Thematic Manger
Location: ACORD Headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya with significant travel within Africa and internationally
ACORD is seeking a Gender Programming Expert to coordinate and lead its overall gender and Pan Africa women’s rights programming. You should be strong in programme management, policy and advocacy work and a capable networker. This is a unique opportunity for a confident policy, advocacy and programme worker to get high-level exposure and experience in gender issues in Africa from grassroots level through to policy advocacy, being a member of a dynamic and multi-cultural team in a Pan African organisation with strong international links.
Agency for Cooperation and Research in Development (ACORD) is a Pan-African Organisation working for Social Justice and Development in Africa. Our response to the challenges of Africa is firmly based on a belief that people themselves are the agents of change and actors of their own development. People’s ability to take action on the causes of poverty is what will transform Africa’s future. This belief underpins ACORD’s practical work, its research methodologies and policy advocacy. ACORD works in partnership with local civil society and communities and in alliance with other organizations in Africa and the rest of the world. In particular, we support the development of Pan-African citizen’s advocacy. Strengthening of African civil society, citizens’ movements and governance is a cross-cutting theme in all ACORD’s work. ACORD is registered as a UK charity and maintains a split Secretariat between Nairobi and London. ACORD is accredited to the United Nations – Economic and Social Council (UN-ECOSOC) and participates in the annual Commission on the Status of Women processes in New York and other relevant gender advocacy processes at international level.
Gender and women’s rights is one of ACORD’s core areas of expertise. As defined in its global strategic plan 2011-2015 we aim to: Build knowledge on positive gender relations and effective ways of addressing gender inequalities with a view to improving women’s status, development and influence.
More specifically, in the period 2012-2015, ACORD is implementing a Pan African women’s rights programme covering ten focus countries with funding from the Dutch government. This programme will contribute to:
-alleviate harmful cultural practices deterring women’s land ownership, access to economic assets and resulting in sexual violence practices
- Increase civil society (particularly women) participation in implementation of gender responsive land, agricultural development, women’s protection and reparations programmes, policies and services at national and Regional Economic Communities (RECs) level
- Institute mechanisms and services for women’s access to justice for land and sexual rights violations instituted.
The Gender Thematic Manager will also be supporting mainstreaming of gender in other areas of ACORD’s work and the strengthening of gender capacities across the organisation.
The Gender Thematic Manager is based in the ACORD head office, managing ACORD’s overall gender work, reporting directly to the Head of Policy and Advocacy.
The Gender Thematic Manager will be a member in ACORD’s Pan Africa programming team, collaborating closely with the other thematic leads in livelihoods, HIV/AIDS and peace building. The Gender Thematic Manager will also work closely with the Gender leads and focal points in ACORD’s 18 country offices across the continent as well as other colleagues at Secretariat level and in partner organisations at Pan African level.
A vacancy exists in ACORD for this position. If you are interested to work with us, please visit our website www.acordinternational.org for a detailed Job Description.
1. To coordinate the development and implementation of the gender thematic programmes in line with the overall ACORD Strategic Plan, the Pan-African programme, Gender thematic strategies and Programming guidelines
2. To provide technical and methodological support to ACORD’s country and area programmes across Africa in relation to gender work
3. To actively contribute to define strategies advancing gender work at Pan-African level through research, partnership, alliance building and advocacy initiatives.
4. To provide leadership in cross-learning and knowledge generation for thematic alignment in relation to ACORD’s gender strategic priorities across the organisation.
Competencies and skills requirements
• Masters in Social Sciences or Sustainable Development, Gender or similar field
• Five (5) years working experience in gender work with an International Non-Governmental Organisation (INGO) at Management level and very good understanding of gender issues at the level of Policy influence in the Pan-Africa scene
• Strong experience in strategic planning, policy formulation, lobbying and media work
• Strong experience in gender programme management, coordination and oversight
• Experience in popular mobilisation and policy advocacy at international level, alliance and partnership building
• Bilingual: English-French spoken and written is an essential requirement for the position
• Excellent Communication (written and oral) and Public Relations skills
• Highly conversant with Civil Society/Social Movement approaches on gender work (Pan-African level
• Good organisational, research, negotiation and analytical capabilities
REMUNERATION: A competitive international package
How to Apply:
To apply, please complete an application form available at www.acordinternational.org and e-mail it with a detailed Curriculum Vitae and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Job Title in the Subject Box. A detailed Job Description is also available on the website.
Closing Date: 27th July 2012