Closing Date: Sunday, 15 January 2012
Context Horn Relief is an expanding and vibrant African-based international organization, working with communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. Horn Relief has been strengthening rural livelihood and delivering innovative humanitarian aid and development programs for the past 20 years. Currently, we have programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan. Our present donor portfolio includes the European Commission, USAID, SIDA, and UNICEF, among others. Horn Relief is an exciting, dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
General Description of the Role: The Area Coordinator will be responsible for providing management oversight to all programming and operational functions at the field level in Southern Somalia. This includes program implementation , operation management, Safety and security and financial management . The Area Coordinator will manage and monitor a team of expatriate and local staff as well as providing support to implementing partners. This is a key position in a very challenging and dynamic context
The position is based in Nairobi initially and reports directly to the Programmes Director at Horn Relief's headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
Position purpose (i) To manage, deliver and report on Horn Relief's current operations in South Somalia, being responsible for the implementation and delivery of successful programs and partnerships and the resulting development outcomes (ii) To establish, build and lead the development of a cohesive appropriate and area program in-line with Horn Reliefs Country and regional strategic objectives (iii) To work as part of Horn Relief's Senior management Team (SMT) in Somalia, refining, developing and improving program approaches and systems, supporting the Country Director to build and deliver the most effective and sustainable development interventions
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:-
* Oversight and monitoring of programs and activities
* Acting as a link between field office operations in South Somalia and offices in Puntland and Somaliland, in support of the Somalia Country Director
* Ensuring that security guidelines are in place and adhered to
* Responsible for ensuring fiscal responsibility in the use of all program and administrative funds. including strict adherence to Horn Relief and relevant donors policies and procedures
* Responsible for ensuring the appropriate management, use and security of all organizational assets
* Supervision of all staff and offices in South Somalia and those in Kenya that serve the South Somalia program.
* Participating in relevant NGO, donor and UN coordination meetings
* Acting and articulating Horn Relief's position at relevant technical and coordination fora
* Providing technical support as needed for implemented programs including program quality and development
* Preparing project proposals and donor reports as required
* Ensuring appropriate technical guidelines and best practices are applied in programs REQUIRED SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
* Bachelors degree, in Social Sciences, International development, Project Management , and/or Public Administration or other relevant field.
* Minimum 5-years' experience in team leadership/project management roles including in unstable and emergency situation s
* Familiarity with UN security guidelines in unstable environments
* Familiarity with SPHERE Guidelines
* Strong operational management experience and capability (finance, people, fundraising), including geographically remote management
* Proven financial management , information management , and systems management experience
* Proven strategic design and management skills. Including good programme and human resource development ability an advantage
* Understanding/knowledge of Somalia and sensitive to the socio cultural context
* Good management skills
* Analytical and critical thinking ability
* Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills. Well-developed ability to motivate and persuade at high levels
* Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results
* Understanding and experience of institutional fundraising
How to apply:
Application Process Applications should be submitted by 15th January 2012. The selection committee will review all applications as they are received. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered. No phone calls please. Horn Relief is an equal opportunity employer.
Each application should include the following: ï‚§ Application letter stating why your skills and qualifications are suitable for this position and current contact information ï‚§ CV, including detailed work experience, education/degrees ï‚§ Pro
fessional references (minimum of three, with complete contact information)
All applications should be sent to Horn Relief at firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com with the subject line: "Area Coordinator-South Somalia". Submission of this information should reach Horn Relief by 15th January 2012.
Deadline: 15th January 2012