Programme: Merlin Kenya HIV/AIDS Prevention, Treatment and Care Project
Responsible To: Merlin Kisii Project Coordinator
Location: Kisii, Kenya
Start Date: ASAP
Duration: 12 Months
Salary: Ksh 138,000 Gross Per Month
Benefits: Currently includes 24 days annual leave, medical cover, bonus and gratuity
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer this post before the closing date.
Merlin International Profile
Merlin specialises in health, saving lives in times of crisis and helping to rebuild shattered health services. Each year, Merlin helps more than 15 million people in up to 20 countries.
Context and Background
Merlin has been working in Kenya since 1998 and in Somalia since 2004. In Kenya Merlin is currently operational in two regions: western and northern Kenya. Merlin projects in Kenya range from the implementation of MNCH, nutrition and emergency preparedness and response programmes; HIV prevention, care and treatment programmes and malaria prevention and control programmes.
The HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment programme is being implemented in partnership with CARE Kenya as prime recepient and district health authorities under the consortium name of Chagua Maisha.
The program that is located in Kisii South, Kisii Central, Marani, Gucha South and Nyamira North and South districts is planned to be implemented for 5 years starting October 1 2010. The goal of the comprehensive program is to reduce HIV infections and improve quality of life of people infected and affected by HIV in Nyanza province.
This will be realized by increasing the quality, access and utilization of HIV prevention, care and treatment services at the community and facility levels and strengthening the capacity of indigenous institutions and MoH to implement HIV prevention, care and treatment services at the community and facility levels.
Main purpose of the role
The Senior HIV/AIDS Project Officer is responsible for leading Merlin HIV/AIDS team and providing technical support and capacity building of the team for successful planning and implementation of programme activities.
The Senior HIV/AIDS Project Officer will work closely with the Project Health Coordinator, Operations Manager, and Project Coordinator in ensuring delivery of quality integrated and comprehensive HIV/AIDS – TB prevention, care and treatment programme.
In addition he or she receives technical advisory and management support from technical lead (TL)-HIV Care and Treatment and the Senior Program Manager of the Chagua Maisha Consortium and is a member of programme leadership team. The Senior HIV/AIDS Project Officer will be stationed in Merlin Kisii office with over 50% of time spent in field operations.
Overall Objectives (scope)
This position demands both the technical knowledge and the work experience, needed to coordinate a comprehensive HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment programme that includes TB collaborative activities.
The Senior HIV/AIDS Project Officer will be responsible for ensuring that the programme is executed in line with country and international standards and donor guidelines.
This position demands an ability to manage, organise and support all aspects of the programme; including other agency liaison, training and supervising Merlin and local staff using techniques and tools available and appropriate to Kenya.
* Responsible for development of program operational budget based on consolidation of needs of the program and responsible for budget management
* Undertake monthly reviews to monitor potential budget under and overruns.
* Together with Operation Manager and finance staff review financial expense reports on a monthly basis as per contractual requirements to ensure contract compliance.
* Together with logistics team prepare procurement plans at the start of program and quarterly to ensure flow of goods and services to support implementation of program
* Together with finance staff ensure timely preparation of financial reports and ensure that there is harmony in program and financial reports
* Prepare programme implementation plans as per templates provided by the prime
* Provide leadership in management of the program, timely implementation of approved work plan, budget and performance indicators.
* With the support of project health coordinator ensure that there is effective coordination of duties among program and program support staff
* Provide program updates to Technical Lead, HIV Care and Treatment during program leadership team sessions to facilitate early identification of gaps and challenges
* Support the Chagua Maisha Senior Programme Manager (SPM) and program leadership team in organizing partner review meetings as per work plan.
* Participate in joint field visits by Merlin and Prime for ongoing monitoring and review of project implementation
* Conduct supervision oversight of on going project activities with a view to ascertain that activities are on going and on track
* Provide support to Project Health Coordinator and Program Coordinator in developing reports and ensure the timely submission of reports as per contractual obligations
* Provide support to program M&E personnel in development of an electronic information and data management system
* Together with Project Health Coordinator ensure documentation of lessons learnt, good practices and share these internally and with partners
* Ensure team cohesiveness and harmonization within the consortium in operational area to enhance programmatic performance and joint technical support to strengthening health systems and capacity of government partners.
* Provide management technical oversight to program consultancies and contractors to ensure deliverables are met according to stipulated standards
* Support Merlin’s achievement of strategic interventions as outlined in the country strategic plan
Staff management and capacity building
* Management supervision of program officers and other programme staff to ensure coordination of management functions at all times.
* Manage, guide, supervise, coach, mentor, provide leadership and support to the Chagua Maisha HIV Program staff hired under Merlin’s contract and where need be, others hired under CARE Chagua Maisha, on a day to day basis to meet program tasks and responsibilities
* Participate in the hiring of competent staff and in their orientation to implement programme activities in line with contractual obligations and in line with Merlin’s policies and procedures
* Support staff to develop individual work plans for purposes of strengthening their performance and the performance of the Chagua Maisha program
* Undertake annual staff appraisal
* Provide staff with technical guidance, training, resources and tools related to HIV/AIDS and TB programmes
* Assess the training needs of staff and develop a training programme to meet these needs.
* Participate in training activities related to the field of work
* Liaise with the Ministry of Health and other agencies to ensure appropriate provision of service and use of resources.
* Keep the Project Coordinator, Project Health Coordinator, and Country Health Director appraised of all activities and any difficulties that may arise.
* Establish good working relationship with the consortium Prime partner staff and Chagua Maisha partners (Government and non Government stakeholders) to facilitate smooth program implementation
* Coordinate with other Merlin-Kisii program project officers in enhancing health programming outcomes in the region.
* Attend district annual operations planning meetings and represent Merlin in district/county coordination meetings and related HIV forums
Qualifications, experience and competences
* Medical Doctor or Nurse or Clinical Officer or other relevant discipline with MPH and comprehensive HIV/AIDS programme expertise
* Minimum of 5 years experience in program management capacity in health programming
* Minimum of 3 years experience in HIV&AIDS Programming in Kenya (prevention, HIV care and treatment programs, Sexual and reproductive health
* Understanding of Kenya’s health systems infrastructure
* Strong staff and program management skills
* Strong partnership skills
* Excellent inter-personal, facilitation skills and communication skills
* Strong budget management skills
* Demonstrated experience in conducting monitoring and evaluation activities
* Experience in designing and implementing training programmes
* Experience in writing donor reports-
* Experience in representation and interaction with donors, government officials, international organizations, and NGO representatives concerning health issues and initiatives
* Strong computer skills including word processing, and Excel and English fluency
* Good team player, flexible and capable of working with a multinational country team.
* Ability and willingness to travel to rural locations and live in sometimes basic conditions.
* Appreciation of and sensitivity to local culture.
* Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritising a high workload and multiple tasks in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines
* Experience of proactively identifying and addressing issues
* An understanding of and commitment to Merlin’s mission and values
Please note, on submitting your application, you are agreeing to Merlin holding and using the information that you have given for the purposes of recruitment and employment – should an offer be made.
Where required by donors funding requirements, some job offers are conditional on our ensuring that potential employees’ names do not appear on counter terrorism lists generated by the United Nations, European Union or the United States.
On submitting your application, you are agreeing to Merlin using the information that you have given for checking that your name does not appear on these lists.
How to Apply:
Should this role be of interest to you, please send you application, clearly indicating “Senior Project Officer HIV/AIDS” in the subject line, to email@example.com by 5pm on Wednesday, 29th March 2012.
Alternatively, you may wish to post your application to, HR Department, Merlin, Nairobi Office, P.O Box 3350 – 00200, Nairobi, Kenya.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.